Tuesday 5 May 2015

Khoresh Bademjan or Spicy Eggplant in the Slow-cooker!


This was so very good that I didn't remember to take a photo until later on in the evening!

Khoresh Bademjan

Rinku at the Spice Chronicles had made Alu Gobi(spicy cauli and spuds) in her slow cooker and mentioned cooking this eggplant dish in it as well...so I tried it on Saturday and was thrilled with the result and the other bonus is that eggplant are in season now and quite inexpensive...here is my adaptation of her recipe

One large eggplant/aubergine peeled and chopped into 2 cm squares, it weighed about a kilo
1 tablespoon of oil
1 finely chopped onion
4 crushed cloves of garlic
1/4 cup tomato paste and a large cup of boiling water
1 teaspoon each of cumin and turmeric
3/4 teaspoon of salt(there is no need to salt the eggplant beforehand)
1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, paprika and pepper

I put the hot water, tomato paste and spices in the cooker first and blended them together with a spoon
Add the vegetables and stir well.
Cook until tender which was about 2 1/2 hours on High/Auto and stir 2-3 times to coat the eggplant in the sauce.
Add some frozen peas/corn/beans after an hour if you like.

That's it...sooooo easy! Served with a dollop of plain yoghurt, rice or naan bread and some Indian style pickles it was wonderful.

Today I am going to try the Alu Gobi recipe and my other recent success in the kitchen was Jamie Oliver's Happy Fish Pie without the fish tail. I used shark fillets and had sour cream instead of the cream and lemon juice...another very easy recipe as it's made without a white sauce...the three photos I took were spectacularly bad even for me...sorry :/


Yesterday I made 3 big jars of mandarin orange marmalade for the pantry, it's much tastier than using regular oranges.

On Sunday we had some fun news...my photo of Twitch won a prize in a local pet photo competition run by KiraJay at Phone a Mum The pic was taken when he was quite unwell recently so is extra special to me; not surprisingly he was the only rabbit entered with lots of cats and dogs and one lion(I think they were pulling our legs!)


We had a rather wild storm 2 nights ago with several planters being knocked over by the wind...it was refreshingly cold enough for woollies yesterday, I need to go and get some kale and silverbeet seedlings later today. Terry next door has planted lots of turnips, parsnips and carrots so we'll have a good variety....he's 80 yrs old and was joking about growing enough in his tiny garden to sell to Woolworths!

Hope you are keeping warm or enjoying Spring days where-ever you might be,
Love from Sue
xxx

4 comments:

  1. I love eggplant, but although it is always pricey here, I have to make that. Sweet bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you didn't have the kind of damage some seemed to have had. That dish looks yummy, I could try it but just can't tell hubby it has eggplant. Don't think he's tried it since he was a child but swears he doesn't like it!! I think the photo of Twitch certainly deserves a prize!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks J and Kathy...the chunks of eggplant are so sumptuous and tender. The Alu Gobi recipe was less successful as the cauli cooked quicker than the potatoes...will cook the spuds for an hour or so then add cauli for another hour or two...the flavour was lovely.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the photo! food looks good too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete