Tuesday 26 April 2016

Carrot and Sweetcorn Bakro

I came across this recipe when looking for recipes to use up the besan/chick pea flour I bought in Fremantle recently at Kakulis Sisters. I used polenta instead of semolina and came up with a nicely spiced and versatile cornbread. Rustically looking as I tore off several pieces instead of cutting it...


I used...
1/2 a cup each of plain wholemeal flour, besan and polenta
1 cup of corn kernels
1 large grated carrot
1 finely chopped onion or 2T of dried onion
1 cup of plain yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon each of all the usual suspects..

crushed garlic
chopped ginger
chilli flakes(may leave these out if you are cooking for children)
cumin
coriander
turmeric
salt

2 teaspoons of baking powder

Mix all these together...I added a little milk as it was still too dry and then mix in 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb of soda last of all.

I didn't use sesame seeds as mine were way past the use-by date (I know) and baked it in a 9 x 5 inch tin lined with baking paper until it was firm and nicely browned, about 40 minutes at 180C

The recipe I linked to states it is a South African/Indian staple but I can't find any other reference to it or other recipes, perhaps the name is spelled differently. A bakro by any other name would taste as good! It was lovely with soup last night and with a fried egg for my breakfast. Would be so good with a nice curry.

Bon appetite!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious, Sue. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good!! Thanks for the recipe Sue! I love anything with corn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sue, I am a grandmother from USA and I have just found your lovely blog. It is amazing how one woman's words can affect another so far away. As I read about the loss of your beloved Mom the tears just flowed. Probably because I miss mine so much and also the loss of my husband in 2012. So, I understand the pain and loss of not having them by your side . But I wanted to tell you how much I admire you for all of the gifts of your life. Thank you for sharing. Hugs from one grandmaw to another. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Can you use cream style corn in this re2. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could certainly try it (especially now), hold back a little yoghurt and the milk to get a 'dough' that's just right...please let us know how it goes x

      Delete