Wednesday 22 August 2018

Mmmm Walnut Muffins!



Dimpled clouds after two very warm-for-Winter days

I never thought a post about walnut muffins would make it here as they sound so boring but we should never say never eh?
 I spent a lazy hour this morning going over The Prudent Homemaker's recipes...Brandy is very clever at keeping household costs down and her recipe appealed to me as I had just cleaned the fridge and found half a bag of elderly walnut halves begging to be used. I changed it slightly, used less sugar and used wholemeal self raising flour to make these muffins that are lovely with both sweet and savoury spreads/toppings...

Beat together in a large bowl

2 eggs
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup raw sugar

Stir in

2 cups of self raising wholemeal flour
around 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts...I didn't toast mine
a rounded teaspoon of your preferred spice...I used nutmeg, try cinnamon, mixed spices, ginger
around 3/4 cup of milk...see how much it needs to make a not too runny and not too stiff batter...is there a name for that?

Spoon into your prepared muffin pans...I made 10 today....bake at 180C for around 20 minutes, let cool slightly before buttering and enjoying, I enjoyed mine with some real butter and some oh so creamy Camembert cheese from Aldi.


...and with all the rain this winter here in WA(remember there is an appalling drought in the Eastern States this year) our potted orange tree is covered with gorgeously scented blossom...I gave it a good feed of manure which was well watered in by an afternoon downpour...this curly lettuce grew from seed dropped last Summer and look at the colour of the freesia flowers...they too smell wonderful...


Joe and I took Mandy, Elizabeth and Caleb out for lunch on Sunday, we all needed cheering up for one reason or another and we certainly had some good laughs which made me realise how long it had been since I laughed out loud and how good it made me feel...I added to the general giddiness...


as did Joe...



We've enjoyed some nice meals at home too this week, "Singapore" noodles which are a great way to use up the other half of the bag of beansprouts if you've had Pho soup...add a couple of teaspoons of ordinary curry powder when you fry off the garlic and ginger to make them....you won't find them in Singapore but they are a lovely old favourite and a good way to use up bits and pieces from the fridge. Left-over pork from the freezer became a roast dinner as well as appearing in the noodle dish. I'm making satay chicken tonight with the peanut butter we bought freshly ground at our 'Pantryman' shop. We get our free range eggs there too, they're delicious.
I must away as I'm taking our neighbour to the library and supermarket, she doesn't drive so we make the most of this monthly outing.

Hope you're having a really good week,
Love from Sue
xx


PS Joe says this font/letter size is too small...do you find it OK to read or do I need to increase it? xx

9 comments:

  1. Sue I am on my iPad so can enlarge the print. Not sure what it would look like on the PC. So glad you have both had a laugh as you have been through some sad times. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chel...sending love to you and yours too

      Delete
  2. You just reminded me I've got some old walnuts in the fridge too. I'll try the recipe.
    Font size is just right for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you 'Me Dear'...I bet some fresh local feta would go well with the muffins ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love the smell of freesias. Your muffins sound tasty. How nice of your to give your neighbor a ride who doesn't drive. I'm sure she appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty hat, Sue. LOL
    I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walnut muffins sound good. I will file it away for things to do when it cools off and I use the oven again! Isn't it funny how we can get out of the habit of laughter, glad to see you having a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. freesias are wonderful flowers! mine came up but alas have yet to flower & it's almost spring!
    yes, your font is a tad small but i find that on most blogs i read these days, am squinting to see the typings
    outings with friends & family is always good medicine in my books, soothes the soul
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. The font size is fine on my laptop Sue. I only just realised you are in WA, LOL. I love the freesias when I can find them. Walnut muffins, mmmm now there's a thought and definitely with cheese. Pauline

    ReplyDelete