Friday 5 April 2019

Tasmanian Scallop Pies

"Now I'm sad." says Uncle Tom when he finishes a particularly good meal and that's just how Joe and feel after eating our home-made curried scallop pies. I'm getting the recipe written down here before I forget how I made these scrumptious pies.

As usual my presentation wouldn't win a wooden spoon but inside...oh my giddy aunt!


We ate 3 scallop pies in the 2 weeks we were in Tasmania, this recipe tastes just like we had there.

4 small pies or just make 1 big one, I based this recipe on this one

2-3 squares of ready rolled puff pastry...I patched my tins to make sure nothing escaped
300-400 frozen scallops

2 egg yolks and the juice of half a lemon whisked together

2 T each of butter and flour
1 cup of stock, I used chicken
1 heaped teaspoon of Keen's curry powder
parsley, salt and pepper
3 T cream or sour cream

Start by lining your pie tins

 Melt the butter in a saucepan and blend in the flour, cook a couple of minutes then add the curry powder and cook another minute.
Add the stock and whisk until it's creamy and lump free, season well

Set aside to cool a little while you quickly sear the scallops in olive oil or butter, only a minute each side. Take off the heat

Now beat the egg/lemon mix and the cream into sauce and fold in the scallops

Fill up your pies, get the lids on and into a hot oven at 220C for around 20-25 minutes

Make jam pasties with any left-over pastry and cook them too!

Joe took the lid off his pie(is it a Canadian thing or was it to cool it down a bit?)


Here's one of the pies we had in Tassie, at the Richmond bakery, their scallops were much bigger than ours, I'll have to try and get some fresh ones next time...


We are looking forward to tomorrow's lunch now :D
I'm sad because I have lots of dishes to wash so I'd better get that done then I can sit and watch the women's soccer Matilda's vs USA that was played this morning!

Love Sue
xx

6 comments:

  1. OMG they sound delicious. And gosh
    what a terrific scallop industry you have there. Unfortunately we can't find scallops so I'm racking my brain to think of another available seafood to use. Heavens I might even try tuna....mmm maybe mussels . Can get quite cheap frozen ones.
    Love how your team is called the Matilda's. Hope they won

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya...I think prawns would be nice or any white fish really x
      The Matildas came second, it was a very exciting match though :D

      Delete
  2. Sue, I am not really into fish dishes apart from the good old fish and chips so don't experiment much with seafood. I can tell you just loved your Tassie holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish and Chips rule lol These were worth it to hear Joe's groans of delight lol

      Delete
  3. Fresh Scallops are expensive now so I think the frozen ones do the trick with cooking, as long as they are still Australian scallops. I love seafood, and this recipe looks amazing Sue. Thanks so much for sharing. It is definitely on my list now to try. Thanks, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks delicious!! Thank you for the recipes. When we were in India my husband had altitude sickness (trying to climb the Himalayan Mountains.) He had to be in the hospital and there we met a young man from Tasmania who also suffered the same problem. He was with two other men from Australia who handled the altitude just fine.

    ReplyDelete