Wednesday 18 April 2012

Some Vintage Dresses

I am a real hoarder, especially of things from my childhood days. Presenting today 5 dresses worn by Mum or I dating back to the mid 50s.

Firstly we have the little dress that both Ian and I wore to our christenings when we were about 6 weeks old, mine was in January 1957...


Next in age is this lovely cocktail dress that Mum bought when she about 23yrs of age(1960) It is very small and has a long zip up the back.

This one dates back to the mid 60s and probably came from Mum's catalogue...we all had a big thick catalogue in those days to mail order almost everything..http://www.freemans.com/ It was as big as phone directory and filled with colourful, glossy pages of all manner of things, generally cheaper than shop prices. Mum also earned a little money(credit?) as an agent.


This next is an handmade 1967 Kipper Tie dress made by my best friend's Mum, the wonderful Marj Scargill who lived 4 doors down. My mum brought the fabric home from work one night and Mrs Scargill made Gillian and I a dress each...they have long zips up the back too. I had/have black patent shoes from then and we wore long white socks with them. Here are some more swinging sixties dresses
http://www.atomretro.com/category.cfm?category_id=199


Last of all this pink floral sweetie was bought in Boans when they were still on Pace Rd in Medina...I was 12-13 yrs old when I wore this...

Just a bit of fun for my daughters and grandaughters, hope you enjoyed too...do they bring back memories?

Love from Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment