Thursday 23 February 2017

A Little Preserving

We don't eat a lot of preserves or jams etc because of the high sugar content but at the end of summer there is always lots of nice fruit and vegs for some small batch preserving. Last week I made some fig jam, re-batched some sad marmalade and yesterday made a beautiful hot yellow sauce from my Lemon Aji chillies. Making more fig jam today after Dad braved the ants to pick me some more figs!

Hot Yellow Sauce, Fig Jam and re-batched marmalade...yummy treats...



I'll share the recipes with you, the sauce was made up by me recipe based on what I have made and learned in the past.

Fig Jam

500gms fresh figs
3/4 cup of sugar
zest and juice of a large lemon
1 tablespoon of honey

Finely chop the figs and remove the stalks
Place in saucepan with their juice and the other ingredients
Bring to boil carefully and then simmer to setting point, this only took 10 minutes for me

Hot Yellow Sauce

1 cup each of~~~
chopped onions
peeled and chopped apple
chopped yellow capsicum/pepper
white vinegar
white sugar

3 yellow chillies thinly sliced, I grow lemon aji chillies and wanted to keep that gorgeous colour but use whatever you have, red will give an even brighter colour
1 teaspoon of turmeric


Simmer everything together until the vegetables are very tender then blend the sauce with a tablespoon of olive oil for a smoother texture...I would keep the windows open if possible

For both recipes bottle into hot sterile jars and label well...sunshine in a jar, hot and fruity sauce...


My original seeds for these quaint chillies come from the Hippy Seed Company in NSW


In other news we are very sad to announce that the wonderful Down to Earth forums where so many of us met all those years ago is finally closing on March 16th...Rhonda can no longer afford the time it takes(3 hrs per day) and wishes to spend that time with her family, we are so grateful for all the time she has given, the forum has been a wonderful place for over 8 years. Happy Real Retirement Rhonda and thank you for improving so very many lives.

Are you preserving at the moment? Would love to hear what recipes you are using,
Have a good day
Love from Sue
xxx

5 comments:

  1. your sauce looks awesome!
    closing the forum? ohhh dear, wish there was someone to take over, i love that place 2nd to Rhonda's blog, now i'm sad
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of that hot yellow sauce. Might make some. Great with the Easter lamb.
    Fig jam I make but no one wants to eat it. I like it though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make a little figgy jam....it's brilliant with cheese! x

      Delete
  3. Interesting to hear about reboiling the jam. My mom and I did some strawberry jam last fall and it didn't set up quite enough, I may have to try your trick!

    ReplyDelete