Wednesday 20 July 2011

Georgie, The Twenty Cent Rabbit

You know that I love to knit and sew and was delighted with Georgie who's cost came to a grand total of 20cents and that was for the second-hand pattern at the Red Cross Shop in Shoalwater Shopping Centre. This was in October 2010. Everything else was already here, the cotton for her body was white quilter's muslin, I knit her little cardigan from some Bendigo Mills cotton yarn that Tammy had sent me and I added a button from J-in-Wales.

https://bamboletta.comp=1035

Her skirt is a simple gathered rectangle cut from a vintage pillowcase and her felt boots are stitched from my scraps. The part I was dreading was her facial features...I tried kidding myself that having no face was Waldorf-like but it just looked vacant and slightly un-nerving so I took the plunge and used Shelagh's threads for her eyes and nose/mouth.

A thrifty toy all round and one that I doubt I can part with!
PS Tammy, J-in Wales and Shelagh are all friends from the DTE forum.

These are my knitted rabbits, Rebecca and Rachel......eta I bought the pattern for these lovelies from Elizabeth @ http://www.etsy.com/shop/dollytime Her blog is a delight too as she lives in the Lake District
http://flutterbypatch.blogspot.com/ There are some sweet free patterns there too.



It's very wet today but not really cold. I'm cooking a pork casserole in the slow-cooker and am making some lentil soup on the stove....the house smells lovely. This is my lentil soup recipe.....you'll need

1 cup of red lentils
1 chopped onion
1 chopped carrot
1 large stalk of celery thinly sliced
a crushed clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper
boiling water

Gently fry the vegetables for a few minutes, stirring to stop them sticking
Add the tomato paste and fry for a minute or so then stir in lentils, salt and pepper
Cover with boiling water and cook for about 30minutes...you will need to stir it regularly and add more water as the lentils absorb it.
The lentils dissolve completely leaving you with a thick soup nicely coloured by the tomato paste. Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Blessings Sue and welcome to the world of blogging, it is so nice to see you here. And them little Bunnies down there VVVV are to cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooked up a load of chicken bones, from the freezer and made stock. Now to turn it into soup.

    It's very wet here also, my water barrels on the allotment are over flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both muchly...just struggling to reply to comments atm

    Sue

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't part with Georgie either, and her face is totally beautiful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. he he Thank you Laura, I should get on and make some more...you know how rabbits breed!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yes please, would love a georgie - can I order one - pllleease :):):)
    with cream and cherry on top :):):)
    she is cute - and I am not a cutie kinda person but I like her :):)

    ReplyDelete