Thursday 7 March 2013

Damac's Date Slice

press into baking dish/tin

Another great slice recipe from the Down To Earth forums, this one from Damac in NSW. It's moist and sweet and so very quick and easy to make. Here are my tweaks...

You'll need
1 cup of wholemeal flour
2 t baking powder(or use SR flour)
1 cup of chopped dates
1/2 cup of chopped nuts(I used 1/4 cup of LSA* for Dad's sake!)
an egg

125gms butter
1 cup of brown sugar

Preheat oven to 180C
Melt butter and sugar together in a large microwave dish or saucepan, allow to cool slightly
Mix in all the dry ingredients and the egg.
Press into a 28cm by 18cm prepared slice tin...I had to use my pie plate instead
Bake for around 20 minutes until the edges are lightly browned

It will rise up quite a bit but settle and firm as it cools, slice into required sized pieces and enjoy...we did!
Hope there's some left for tomorrow after Mum's cheeky comment yesterday!


Making chocolate cupcakes today using Rhonda's recommended recipe here

Hooroo
Sue
xxx

*LSA is a mix of ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds, lovely sprinkled on cereals, fruits or stews etc for extra nutrition.

5 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm going to surprise my dear hubby and make them right now for tonight's dessert. He LOVES date squares and I haven't made them in AGES.... XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my to bake list.. along with a custard tart for D, if I can find a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks tasty.... and I have dates!
    xx
    PS still working on the cinema ticket issue, I haven't forgotten, apparently now I have to phone colgate tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh - this was GOOD! Hubby liked it :) I added sunflower seeds, wheat germ and hemp hearts to it in place of nuts (some of the kids in our family don't like nuts).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious! Dates are hard to find in this area where I live. Using whole wheat is a marvelous idea!

    ReplyDelete