Wednesday 27 July 2011

Wrist-warmers or Fingerless Gloves

Here's my pattern for lacy fingerless mittens. You'll need 4mm/UK 8 needles and 50grams of wool(hint..if you have half a big ball of yarn you can simply weigh it to see if you have enough) These mitts will fit a small to average hand.

You could also make plain gloves by just knitting stocking stitch, perhaps some stripes to use up oddments of yarn. I love to have a pair or two if my Gift Box and find that most people appreciate being given a pair. In fact I have people in Canada, Queensland, Victoria and Western Australia wearing my woolly warmth!










Cast on 39sts
Work knit 2, purl 2 to last st and purl 1
Work knit 1, purl 2, knit 2 to end

Repeat until you have 14 rows.

Lacy pattern is a 4 row repeat and is worked 7 times in all(giving you 28 rows of pattern)

1) knit 2, *yarn fwd, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, yarn fwd, k1,* repeat to the end, knit 1
2) Purl
3) knit 3 *yarn fwd. sl 1, knit 2 together, psso, yarn fwd, k3* repeat to end
4) purl

Now work 8 more rows of the rib st pattern and cast off loosely.
Sew up seam to fit your hand leaving a space for your thumb.


To make larger mitts for a man I cast on 46sts and knit them plain or in a stripy pattern.

9 comments:

  1. These are pretty Sue, I wear the ones you made me near all the time here when it is cold, I can type and knit in them and when my finger and knuckle joints are swollen and sore these wee gloves are a Goddess send..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Sue, these are just what I have been looking for as extra stocking fillers. Nice and easy to carry around with me for a few rows here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are a quick knit, Wendy and Pippa...just like making 2 dishcloths and stitching the edges together. You could use any lace pattern or textured pattern that has repeats adding up 39-42 stitches. I made some nice honeycomb ones but forgot to photograph them!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue they are beautiful! I've made quite a few pairs of fingerless gloves ... and I love this pattern due to the lacy look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Karen....I feel quite "grungy" and a little bit vamp in them lol

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished some of these mittens today. My daughter has put an order in for a pair. Mine were just knitted in garter stitch with ribbing at both ends. I like the pretty pattern on your mittens, so am going to give this a try next...Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Good on you. Have you been following Judsie thread at the forum about Fingerless Gloves? She's a scream
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I have Sue, that's what got me motivating lol!

    ReplyDelete