Friday 5 April 2013

Kimchi Soup

What???

Coming to the end of a jar of kimchi I wondered what I could use the fermented liquid for knowing it is very good for the digestive system. Google advised that it can be drunk, and it's yummy btw, and one recipe I loved the look of is Kimchi Soup which uses both the liquid and a cup of the kimchi itself.

I don't have the Korean chilli flakes and it seemed it would be far too hot for us Westerners so I came up with this blend to feed 2...

1 cup kimchi(I make my own)
1 cup kimchi liquid
1 cup of water
a small sliced onion
2 sliced spring onions
chopped chili to taste, remember the kimchi is already hot
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms/zucchini etc
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 T soy sauce
packet of firm tofu, sliced
you could add a little ground or ready cooked meat too

Start by frying the kimchi and sliced onion in a little oil for about 5-7 minutes.
Add kimchi liquid, water, vegetables and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
Stir in garlic, soy sauce and tofu and cooked meat if using and taste for seasoning.
Simmer gently for another 10 minutes and serve with steamed rice on the side.


It's really very good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment