Thursday 5 May 2016

Kushari~Egyptian Meal, Frugal But Oh So Delicious

I watched Maeve's Food Safari one afternoon last week and she showed Egyptian cooks preparing several different recipes including Kushari, a scrumptious blend of rice, pasta and lentils with a tomato sauce and fried onions. We both really enjoyed this meal with some sour cream, I even had it on toast for breakfast the next morning...


I was lucky to be able to buy the spice Baharat locally as that was the only thing I didn't have handy, everything is pretty much standard pantry fare, I think a fried egg on top will be a lovely addition too.

I used a can of puy or French style lentils some-one had given me, plus about 2 cups each of cooked Basmati rice and macaroni elbows and about 3/4 bottle of passata(2 cups?) instead of the tomato paste and water. I made a lot more fried onion than is showing here and half a long red chilli from my garden.

Another spicy rice recipe we loved recently was the Cajun Chicken and Rice from this list by Pioneer Settler. I had to use a Mexican chilli mix but have bought some Cajun seasoning for next time...I also used fresh onion and capsicums rather than frozen as they are plentiful and cheap at the moment. We can't buy the tomatoes with chillies here so I used fresh tomatoes and a few slices of bottled jalapeƱos... the grated cheddar cheese mixed through was lovely too...

 .
It's Mother's Day here on Sunday, I have asked the 'children' to ignore it this year, my first without Mum. It won't go completely un-noticed as our grandson is due on Saturday and so hopefully my daughter in love will celebrate her first ever Mother's Day, her own Mum flew in from interstate yesterday to share the joy.

Much of this post resonates with me and I do find comfort in some places and unexpected pain in others, Bree helped by folding some of Mum's clothes to take to a charity shop for me but it's a very slow job de-cluttering her possessions...they have to go some-where that they can be used but we don't want to let them go. One day at a time for now.

So please enjoy your weekend and your family, take time to smell the roses
xxx





1 comment:

  1. What a scrumptious looking dish, thanks SusieQ!

    ReplyDelete