Tuesday 4 October 2011

Beatrix Potter Part 1 Ribblehead Viaduct

After visiting Chris's blog yesterday and reading about Beatrix Potter, I am going to get on and share my  photos of her house and garden and of Hawkshead where her husband, William Heelis, had his solicitor's office.

It was watching the film Miss Potter with Renee Zellwegger in 2006 that made me suddenly homesick for these Yorkshire Dales and  Lake District areas that I'd visited many times before. The pivotal scene however was the glimpse of the Ribble Head Viaduct near Kirkby Lonsdale and the memories of seeing it with Unka Tom and Auntie Brenda 30yrs previously.

Ribble Head Viaduct 2007

 On this trip we also enjoyed a trip on the Settle to Carlisle Railway Line and here are a few pics of that day.

The beautiful Settle Railway Station and the view north.
Your carriage awaits, Madame...


I took some photos from the moving train, through rain-spotted windows. We missed some of the more spectacular views due to the low-lying rain clouds but still enjoyed the trip very much. This is Pen-y Ghent from the Viaduct itself..




Past isolated farms....

Does this look like a Senior Citizen to you?


I'll finish today with a few photos of Carlisle, almost on the border with Scotland and tomorrow I'll show you my Beatrix Potter photos and story.

Part of The Citadel(1810), former law courts and now home to the County Council.
This is surely the loveliest Police Station in the UK?

This is the old Town Hall dating back to 1799




Although it only takes a few minutes to read these blog posts in takes me about an hour each day to research, write and find the best photos so that is why I'm splitting this tale into 2 parts.

Hope you're having a lovely day, it looks like we're going to blessed with a little more rain as Johnny Cash sings!

Love from Sue
xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, thankyou so much for sharing these amazing photos :) I have never had the experience of travelling, although my DH has quite a lot, so I love looking at other peoples photos and hearing their experiences, so one day when I get to travel I know just where I want to go :) I just love the photos of the old buildings, what a great history they must have. Regards, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the Dales, too. I visited many years ago, and so want to go back. Thanks for the pics! I'm looking forward to Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your encouragement...looking through my photos this afternoon I see there are 3 parts...I will show you the beautiful village of Hawkshead tomorrow.
    I have so very many photos of this area thanks to digi cameras and as this blog is for my grandies and their grandies I want to explain what my photos are and where Nana Sue went/lived as a child.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are lovely photos. Where is this sue, exactly?
    I especially like the railway station pics - endearingly quaint :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ishieta, Settle is in the Yorkshire Dales in the north of England. Other towns nearby are Ingleton and Kirkby Lonsdale that I have blogged about here http://coffeee2001.blogspot.com/search/label/Kirkby%20Lonsdale
    xx

    ReplyDelete