Tuesday 7 May 2019

New Jacket and Hats

lots of knitting going as usual...will let the pictures do the talking...firstly my 8 ply(acrylic) jacket, cost less than $10 to make using this pattern


Cable hats with 8ply wool and this pattern  I always look on-line for free patterns before I make anything these days...ravelry is my favourite place...




How socks start Life...loving this tiny circular needle from Chiaogoo, bought on line from Skein Sisters, I've also started a baby blanket and am using a long circular needles as it takes the weight off my shoulders , the work rests in my lap and I only use my hands...


I've just read a wonderful book about Julia Child which led me to watching some YouTube clips of 'The French Chef', I am pleased to say my knife skills have greatly improved as well as my appreciation for all this amazing woman achieved in her long life.

6C here at dawn and I'm off to Dad's this morning with two serves of Shepherd's Pie and extra vegies...I out-did myself yesterday and doubled the amount of mincemeat needed by padding it out with grated carrot and zucchini and lots of chopped mushrooms too...we always have grated cheese on the top for extra yumminess :) I made Irish Stew at the weekend for the first time in years, lamb seems so expensive these days. Winter food is just my absolute favourite!

Hope all is well in your world ,
Love from Sue
xx

8 comments:

  1. You've been very busy Sue:)

    I love Julia Child. I learned a lot by watching both her and Jacques Pepin's shows. One of these days I'd love to go see her kitchen at the Smithsonian museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her home in Provence is on AirBnB for a mere $1400 per night...fab kitchen there too xx

      Delete
  2. I love winter food, too, Sue. Your knitting looks fabulous! I especially like the red hat. I am working on a pair of grey gloves, with fingers. Your jacket came out beautifully, too. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it. Practical knits are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looking forward to seeing your gloves...the fingers must very tricky to knit, what size needles are you using? xx

      Delete
  3. Love your knitted jacket. Ravelry has great free patterns. I always look there first. I have been crocheting recently. A few market bags but I discovered i don't really like to use them. I prefer a big cloth bag.
    I made shepherds pie a few days ago with left over lamb from easter. Really tasty. I put cheese on the top of mine too. Shepherds pie is going to be on our menu for at least once a week till we eat all the leftover lamb in the freezer! At least it is something everyone eats.
    Love Julia Child. I've read a few of her books, havent seen her on youtbue though. Must go and look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there...don't we have a lot in common...I was wondering if potatoes grow easily where you are? I love moussaka too but eggplants will be out of season for you atm?

      Delete
  4. lovely jacket & hats! indeed lots of knitting going on there, the sock wool looks interesting too!
    just started my mate to the 1st sock i finished today & using 3mm circular needles for the top of the leg, must say i find them easier to use than the tiny 2.5mm needles
    mmm, stews & soups are my favourite too!
    lovely post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Sue. I can't knit and so many times I wish I could had learned. I learned crochet when I was 9 years old and have been playing with it ever since. I really like what you just made.
    I have been watching this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLeod%27s_Daughters. Australia e fascinating!! When we were climbing the Himalayans we met a young man from Tasmania. He was in the same ward my husband was at the hospital. They both couldn't handle the altitude and got altitude sickness. The Tasmania man left the hospital a day earlier than my husband. His friends were fine. He was friendly!

    ReplyDelete