Wednesday 21 November 2012

Still Here

I'm sorry to have been away for so long. 8 days ago Twitch was unwell when I went to let him out in the morning so I watched him for 2 hours, he was not eating, not pooping and sitting hunched up, and it became obvious he had a blocked bowel or what the vets call "gastro-intestinal stasis". We popped him into a box and drove to the nearby Warnbro Veterinary Hospital where Dr Laura was doubtful he'd survive. She suggested leaving him there for an x-ray and intravenous fluids plus some pain medication. Later that day it was decided that he stay overnight on fluids and then we'd decide his fate...surgery is rarely successful in these cases.

I think Joe and I cried for hours on end, Twitch means so much to us both. With trepidation I phoned the clinic on Wednesday morning and he'd survived the night so would continue to be treated with fluids. At 4pm Dr Laura phoned and said, "I am so impressed with your little bunny!" He'd passed the blockage been eating the celery tops she'd bought on her way home on Tuesday afternoon and was ready to come home and get back into his normal routine. It was just awfully stressful and as a result I have a yukky cold and feel so tired all the time! This too shall pass.

Twitch was so hungry for several days after his ordeal and he seemed to be eating non-stop..here he fell asleep at the table lol Remember rabbits can sleep with their eyes open?



Today I've made up another batch of Rhonda's laundry liquid, I scent it with tea tree oil and these 10 litres will last us many months for very little cost. Have you tried it yet, here is the recipe. I don't use borax as I know it can be dangerous but I still get great results.


I took this photo on Sunday in a nearby suburb, a giant chess board set up and ready to play at the primary school...it must be delightful to watch the children play and they can you know. Joe teaches children as young as 6 and 7 and they have a good grasp of the game, unlike yours truly!


The Christmas Decoration Swap is winding up at the forum, the variety of crafts used and posted across the world has been delightful as always. I'm still waiting for my parcel, it takes longer for parcels to come across Australia than it does to come from the USA! I will show you both Marnie's and mine when hers arrives.

35C is forecast for today with a possible thunderstorm so I got everything done early on...this house seems to be keeping cool which will be a blessing as there's no air-conditioner here.

Hope you are well and enjoying your week,
Love from Sue
xxx

12 comments:

  1. Poor Twitch. SO glad he's fine.
    With the washing liquid do you just leave the borax out or do you substitute it with something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becci, it was a bit more than a bad hare day!!!

    I added a little more washing soda, say 3/4 of a cup in all and another 1/4 cup of soap flakes. Some people use bicarb in place of the borax,

    sooo
    1 1/4 cups of soap flakes
    3/4 washing soda and the same amount of water as Rhonda suggests.

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your darling Twitch is well again. Pets are such a huge part of our lives and it's horrible when they aren't well :(

    Lovely job on the laundry liquid. I need to try that recipe ~ I've made powdered detergent before but I'd really like to try the liquid one as I hear it's more effective. Have a good day, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Sherri (Baby), thank you too for your kind comments about Twitch. Do try the laundry liquid, it's 10 minute job to dissolve everything and then add it to a large bucket to make up to 10litres of liquid. Give it a stir each time you're passing and then decant into your containers...or leave it in the bucket, covered and somewhere safe.
      About half a cup is enough for a full load of washing.
      Love from Sue
      xx

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear Twitch is ok.

    How much tea tree oil to you add to your 10 litres of laundry liquid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tessie's Mum...I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons, any essential oil would be nice but tea-tree is very cheap here and has such a clean scent.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Poor little Twitch also poor Sue and Joe, a very stressful time for all I'm sure. So happy he is on the mend :)

    The two times I've made laundry liquid using Rhonda's or a similar formula, mine never turned out like hers or yours, it always remaind liquid. I use my own soap whereas Rhonda uses Lux flakes. I'm sure that makes a difference, the flakes are finer than grated soap (fit more in a cup) also they contain tallow and palm oil which make a harder soap.
    Anyway I've come up with my own solution and it has more cleaning power than the original recipe, Tony gets very dirty at work. I also use Bi-carb in the mix to boost cleaning power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa and thanks for your Twitchy love :D

      Are you able to dissolve your soap gratings completely? I do use Lux flakes as grating my own soap is too much hard work, it's took about 10 minutes to dissolve completely yesterday.
      xxx

      Delete
  6. Good to hear from you, sorry about the bunny's issues, wonderful he beat it. I was concerned your mother had bad report, I hope all is well there. I've been busy with our Thanksgiving preparations today. Daugher took my husband in for fluids, as the chemo has done number on him again. Maybe he will be better for the big dinner tomorrow. Stay cool in the heat. Son-in-law in Brisbane says it is hot. Sending daughter back to him on Dec. 1, we will miss her. Take good care. Hedy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So relieved for Twitch, I was holding my breath reading that. Can only imagine how hard that was for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so relieved that Twitch is home and doing well. It is so difficult when the pets in our lives are hurting. They are such a part of our day. I love the hutch that you have for him. Hopefully you will get plenty of rest now and your cold will go away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear Twitch is safe at home again.

    Bet he missed his mummy and daddy too, he wasn't ready to go anywhere, he has it too good with you two :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete