Monday 8 October 2012

Frugal Meals

We have a great thread at the forum this month called "October 2012 Grocery Challenge" where members are suggesting their best ways to reduce their grocery bills and their most frugal meal ideas. Clever use of leftovers, acceptance of free food from various sources and less meat are some of the ideas. Frugal Queen and Becci  have lots of great ideas for thrifty meals so have at look there if you'd like to save some money.

I've been determined to use up what we have as we have a big gas bill next week. I took about half a cup of leftover pasta sauce, added half a cup of milk and a handful of cheese and warmed them through then served it on some oddments of pasta left in their bags, not enough for a meal but fine mixed with other shapes. Last night I used one chicken breast to make curry, today I'll add more vegetables to that effectively getting four good meals from one chicken breast. I'll make some minestrone for lunches today and tomorrow.

With summer on the way I'd like to show you a photo of Joe's poor face after having 3 basal cell carcinomas removed last week...he doesn't go out in the sun but has a rare condition called Gorlin Syndrome which causes these skin cancers to pop up all over him...my dear Mum's lower legs are really bad too, badly scarred from the frequent removal of cancers after years of playing golf in the days before we knew about the danger of melanoma etc. Please take care of your skin, especially protect the children when they play outdoors; our Govt. has a slogan "Slip, Slop, Slap" ~ Slip on a t-shirt, slop on your sunscreen and slap on a hat! Children in Western Australian schools are not permitted to play outside in Terms 1 and 4 without a hat.


I emailed Swan Taxis as Rose suggested but still no word on the whereabouts of my bag lost last Thursday.

So on that cheerful note I will leave you!
Hope you have a wonderful week, stay out of the shops lol!
Love from Sue


7 comments:

  1. Poor Joe. Just tell people that the other bloke looks worse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Joe :( I have a few skin cancers popping up, I get the dr's to check them if I am worried. So far so good! As a kid I used to ride around on the tractor with my mum. They didnt have cabs back then and our hats would blow off so we would sit on them! If only we knew the consequences like we do now!

    Frugal meals here too as money has been short lately with bills etc...Love Frugal Queen and Becci's blog :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. same rule applies to eduational establishments and day care in VIC for terms 1 and 4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link up Sue. Poor Joe, give him a hug from me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch...poor Joe, hope they heal quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I replied to your comment. Im off to work now - but I will be back to follow your blog later. It's a pain since they took the simple FOLLOW button away at the top!
    Best wishes n bloggy love
    Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Poor Joe. Sorry about your bags, was hoping taxi sevice would be of help. So disappointing to lose something. We continue to hold our own :-) Take care.

    ReplyDelete